What is Equine Sports Massage
Equine sports massage is the scientific manipulation of soft tissues of the body, it helps the body's own natural ability to heal.
The Benefits of Massage
Human athletes would not compete without preparing or stretching their bodies. The horse is the ultimate athlete so why not treat your horse the same? Massage benefits the well being of your horse by:
- Keeping muscles healthy, improving muscle tone and building up those muscles that may have wasted
- Maintaining strength and suppleness so therefore more chance in preventing injury.
- Massage minimises stiffness and helps to maintain flexibility
help to keep or restore joints and muscles to full
Does your horse do or show signs of any of the following:
- Dislikes being groomed
- Prefer one rein
- Show lateral stiffness
- Reluctant to canter on one lead
- Hollow backed
- High headed
- Head shaking
- Cold backed when tacked up
- Lack of poll flexion and bend
- Head tilting
- Have an uneven stride length
- Holding the tail to one side
- Excessive rolling
All of the above can be signs of pain and discomfort and should be investigated.